Tuesday 28 May 2013

Cameo, Oh Cameo!


After comparing prices between the UK (Ebay & Amazon), Malaysia and Singapore (Silhouette Suppliers), I found the cheapest Cameo for 409 Singapore Dollars (RM984) (After a $50 discount by "liking" their FB page) from Craft In Vogue, Singapore http://craftinvogue.sg/. Local delivery was free so I had it delivered to a friend's house since I was visiting.

The basic inclusions when you buy the Cameo are : 
-Silhouette Cameo (of course)
-Basic Silhouette Software (Mac & PC compatible)
-1 Cutting Mat 
-1 Blade. 
-Free USD10 download card 
-Power and USB cable 

The other prices were - 
Malaysia: RM1299 (Includes an extra free blade) 
UK : RM1295 (Includes free kit and free delivery) 
The free kit consists of the Universal Hook, Sticky Pick Up Tool, Spatula, Scraper Tool and $10 Download Card


(SSDE) Silhouette Studio Designer Edition vs MTC (Make-The-Cut) Software

The Basic Silhouette Software does not allow me to do what I want most, that is, to design my own rhinestone templates. So I did some research into the two main softwares suitable for the Silhouette Cameo - the SSDE and MTC. From the reviews I read, MTC seemed to have a better reputation amongst users who have tried both and I was really pulled towards the MTC, although it is slightly more pricey (approx 20USD more). However, only after extensive reading about the Pros and Cons of both softwares, did I find out that............the MTC is NOT MAC compatible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *AGH!*

The second I found that out, I gave up researching and settled for the SSDE. If you want to find out more about the SSDE vs MTC, one review website I enjoyed reading was http://underacherrytree.blogspot.com/

I got my digital copy of SSDE (which means you only need to download it, you do not need to be sent a CD) from http://www.misskatecuttables.com/ for $32.89 (Which comes with a free $10 digital download credit for their website). As far as I know, they were offering the cheapest price for the SSDE. Unfortunately, all the deals, selling the SSDE for $20++, expired about a month ago. The SSDE is sold for $49.99 on the Silhouette America http://www.silhouetteamerica.com/?page=home. So  at least I still got a discount :) 

So far, I find the SSDE easy to use, and there are plenty tutorials on YouTube which are very useful and quick. I am happy with my buy. However, note that the SSDE crashes more often that you would expect, so SAVE YOUR WORK!!!! (Yes, I was a victim...)

Sincerely,
Mim



1 comment:

  1. Hi so after few years of using cameo is everything ok? I am considering to buy one, would you mind to share the shop you compared the price at Malaysia?

    ReplyDelete